If you are eating at an American restaurant, there’s good chance your meal will have some form of potato in it. Some of the best sides rely on potatoes, such as baked potatoes, French fries, and mashed potatoes.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here
But did you know potatoes can be good for your skin? There are several benefits that come from using potatoes on the skin that everyone should know. Learn about the DIY ways potato can be used for your face.
- What Are the Benefits of Using Potato on Your Face?
- How To Make Potato Juice for the Face
- How To Use Potatoes for Dark Spots and Hyperpigmentation
- How To Use Potatoes for Acne
- Will Applying Potatoes to the Skin Actually Work?
What Are the Benefits of Using Potato on Your Face?
At first, using potato on the face sounds a little silly. But these starchy veggies are packed with vitamins and minerals that offer direct benefits to the skin. Potatoes can help with acne, reduce the appearance of dark spots, scars, and help exfoliate the skin.
However, it’s important to note there is little scientific evidence to support the potato benefits for the skin.
Vitamins and Minerals
Potatoes are packed with numerous vitamins and minerals including vitamin B6, vitamin C, phosphorus, and zinc. These may help improve the appearance of unusual spots, fix scars, and repair a wide variety of skin damage.
Acne and Blemishes
Many claim potatoes may help with blemishes and the appearance of acne scars. One study on mice found the cytokines in potatoes may help reduce skin inflammation. Although there aren’t any other studies showing proof as an effective acne treatment.
Potatoes can actually provide you with anti-aging benefits. The vitamins that are present in the skin are helpful in reducing age spots and pigmentation. In this manner, potatoes can actually improve the collagen content in your skin, improving the overall health of your face.
The starch that is present in the potatoes can help you provide your skin with a nice, natural glow.
Remove Dark Spots
One of the most talked about claims for potato is its ability to decrease the appearance of dark spots and hyperpigmentation. Most DIY recipes mix potato with other vitamin C packed ingredients to help even skin tone.
Remove Dead Skin Cells
Finally, potatoes are also helpful for exfoliating the skin. Dead skin cells can clog pores and cause acne, leading to breakouts. By exfoliating the skin, potatoes will remove these dead skin cells, rejuvenating your face.
These are just a few of the many benefits that come from using potatoes to heal your skin. It is important to take a closer look at how potatoes are used for these various purposes. It’s also important to note that while many have shared the benefits noted above, there aren’t any clinical studies that show clear results for these benefits.
How To Make Potato Juice for the Face
Another terrific option for lightening the skin is potato juice. Potato has some mild bleaching properties that will help the body reduce its melanin production. This will reduce the pigmentation of the face and lighten the face’s skin tone. Furthermore, potatoes also contain vitamin C. Vitamin C reduces the production of collagen, which can help the skin remain tight and reduce wrinkles.
DIY Potato Mask for Face
- In order to take advantage of these properties, you should make potato juice. In order to make potato juice, the steps are as follows
- Grate potatoes and take out the juice. Place this juice in a bowl.
- Measure out 1.5 tablespoons of honey and add 1.5 tablespoons of potato juice to the mixture.
- Then, take half of a lemon and juice it. Add the juice to the mixture
- Mix all of the ingredients together until it forms a gel or a paste
- Finally, apply this gel to your face
There are several reasons why this mixture works so well. First, lemon juice is ideal for removing some of the dead skin cells from your face. Second, honey helps you find the glowing skin that you are looking for. Finally, potatoes will stop some of the production of melanin, helping you lighten your face.
When you use this juice, try to massage it into your face. This helps deepen the penetration of the potato juice, increasing its effectiveness. Leave it in place for about 15 minutes and then wash it off with normal water. By using this mixture two to three times per week, you will notice results in a few applications. This is one of the top ways that you can use potatoes to lighten your face.
How To Use Potatoes for Dark Spots and Hyperpigmentation
Dark spots can make the skin appear dull and old. These dark spots form due to patches of skin that have turned dark due to a pigment called melanin. Melanin is responsible for giving the skin its color. These dark spots tend to appear due to side effects of medications, reduced vitamins, exposure to the sun, and even pregnancy.
The good news is that potatoes can help with dark spots on the surface of the skin as well. While potatoes can stop the process that leads to hyperpigmentation, they can also leverage their bleaching agents to help you remove dark spots and hyperpigmentation.
In order to remove dark spots from your skin using potatoes, you are going to make a face pack. The steps are:
- Take 1 fresh potato and peel it
- Cut the potato into small cubes
- Then, crush the potato until it forms a smooth paste
- Take two tablespoons of potato paste and combine this with 1 tablespoon of Multani Mitti (bentonite clay)
- Next, take ½ tablespoon of rose water and add it to the mixture
- Mix all of these ingredients thoroughly
- Apply the face pack to your face and neck
- Leave it in place for about 15 minutes and then wash it off with cold water
In addition to working well on dark spots, this face mask can help with blemishes and pimples. It also helps remove oils and impurities from the surface of the skin. In this manner, this is one of the most versatile treatment options for a wide variety of problems related to the skin.
How To Use Potatoes for Acne
If you are wondering if potatoes can be used to help you with acne, the answer is yes. Potatoes are effective at getting rid of not only dark spots but acne as well. Potatoes function well as a toner that you can blend with any of your face masks. You can even freeze potatoes into ice cubes and use them on your skin once they set. Potatoes themselves are filled with numerous nutrients that can clear up your skin and even the peels of potatoes and potato juices have bleaching properties that can help you remove acne scars.
There are several ways that you can use potatoes to help you with acne. These include:
- Use potato slices to help you treat your acne. Cut the potatoes into circular pieces and rub the potato slice on your face where you have acne scars. Do this for a few minutes and then wash your face. The acid in the potatoes can help you remove the bacteria that causes acne. You can do this daily for a week and check the results.
- Another method is to make something called a lemon potato face mask. First, take some potatoes and grind them into a mixer. Then, remove the potato juice. Squeeze a lemon into the potato juice. Finally, dip a cotton pad into the mixture you just made. Use this to apply a mask. The juice will help you remove some of the scars from acne, helping you achieve clear, glowing skin.
These are just a few of the best ways that you can use potatoes to treat acne on your skin. With some persistence, you can make those acne scars disappear.
Will Applying Potatoes to the Skin Actually Work?
Similar to other treatment options for the skin, potatoes might not clear up all skin problems. Everyone is different and some people might have skin problems that are going to respond better than others to this potato treatment. The good news is that there are plenty of ways that you can use potatoes to treat your skin problems. If one method doesn’t completely work for you, then another one might.
It is important for you to monitor your skin carefully to see how it responds. While many have shared that potatoes will work for these skin problems, there aren’t any clinical results that back these claims up.
Keep track of how the skin responds and not expect results to show up after a single application. The best part about trying potatoes on your skin is that it’s lower risk! You don’t have to worry about dropping big $$$ on an expensive serum that may not work for your skin type.
If you enjoyed this article you may also like the following DIY skincare topics: